The oldest written sources witness the existence of communities in Beskydy region already in the mid-13th century. Village inscribed as Friedeberg, later Mistek, is mentioned in 1267 in a testament of Olomouc Bishop Bruno of Schauenburg. In 1256 by a treaty between the Czech King Premysl II. Otakar and Opole prince Vladislav the border was established between Moravia and Piast Opole principality along the Ostravice river. The river formed a border between Moravia and Silesia until December 1, 1928. We don’t know the accurate establishment of Frydek. Probably sometimes in the period 1327 - 1335 it replaced its predecessor - Jamnice village.
Moravian part of the region suffered from internal struggles taking place after the death of Vaclav III. In domestic wars of the late 14th century Friedeberg was destroyed. A new town was founded under the name Newenstetil (Nove Mestko or Mistko).
Development of industry and guild activities
In the 19 century are founded textile factories in Frydek and Mistek (J. Munk and sons - 1832, Landsberger - 1860, Neumann brothers – 1868, Lemberger - 1893), since 1833 operate the Charles iron works in Liskovec, today Arcelor Mittal Frydek-Mistek. Textile production and metallurgy in the next century achieved a major position in a growing industry of the region. It influenced the development of banking, the construction of new buildings, funding of public utility buildings and the establishment of guilds. Special position among these had Matice mistecka. It had merit in the opening of the Czech grammar school in 1895 and the construction of the National Hall.
March 14, 1939 in Mistek
The period of occupation and the World War II. brought events which are significantly marked in the history of the city. On Tuesday, March 14, 1939 the German army began to occupy the Ostrava region. When at the gate of former Czajanek’s textile factory, where the barracks of the 3rd Battalion of 8th Infantry Regiment were, stopped the Germans, Captain Pavlik, gave orders to defend. Although mostly novices faced the multiple superiority, armed resistance in Mistek remained forever recorded as a unique in the abridged Czechoslovak Republic.
Merging of Frydek and Místek
Two independent cities Frydek and Mistek wrote his own history until January 1, 1943. Through the power of Nazi officials the two cities were merged into one unit called Frydek. Discussions of citizens and official authorities regarding the name of the city after the liberation in 1945 were finally concluded by the Ministry of Interior establishing an official name for the city Frydek-Mistek as of January 1, 1955.
The city emblem
Symbol of the city was after 1990 newly created according to a design by RNDr. Vilem Kocych. By resolution of the Czech parliament of February 12, 1992 the emblem of Frydek-Mistek is a shield divided to quarters, in the first and fourth blue field the right half of golden eagle with a red armour touches silver letter F, in the second and third field crossed sticks with six knars are accompanied with three red roses.
The City of Frydek-Mistek is a founder of 29 allowance organizations in the field of education, culture and social services: 13 primary schools, 6 kindergartens, 2 leisure time centers, Primary art school, National Hall, City Library, Beskydy Information Center, Home for elderly, Pension for elderly, Domiciliary services Center, „Giraffe“ Integrated Center. Moravian-Silesian Region is the founder of secondary schools and the Museum of Beskydy. There are also a few private schools and Primary art school of spiritual music.
Frydek-Mistek, a city with a rich literary and musical tradition
While walking around our city you can visit one of the many art galleries, you can admire the important historical monuments, statues and busts reminding personalities tied to the past or Frydek-Mistek. These certainly include the poet Peter Bezruc.
The personality of the composer Leos Janacek, whose grandfather came from Frydek drapery family influenced the creative work of many composers and educators of the region. At the turn of the 19th and 20th century became the Frydek choir a major musical center. After four years of operation of the organist Eduard Bartonicek, composer of the Silesian anthem, became his successor Jan Kment and then his son Vit Kment, who worked in Frydek until his death in 1954. Through the arriving of Janacek's pupil Frantisek Kolarik in 1886 Mistek earn a choir director, composer and successful choirmaster, who founded Smetana male choir in 1910.
Tradition of choral singing bear on the contemporary choirs including Smetana mixed choir and Martinu women's choir. Rich concert activity produce ensembles such as Symphonic Orchestra Frydek-Mistek, Brass Orchestra Frydek-Mistek, SLPT Ostravica and DFS Ostravicka. The City of Frydek-Mistek is annually a sponsor of the International Folklore Festival.